Thursday, September 6, 2007

San Francisco Was Great

We received an e-mail from Craig today. His trip to San Francisco went very well. He and his companion went with two older couples who will also be traveling to Greece. They were each interviewed briefly. It was Craig's first opportunity to speak Greek to a native. He felt that it went very well. The man who interviewed him also liked that he knew Ancient Greek. They ate fish and chips at Fisherman's Wharf and they walked along the wharf and watched the seals and seagulls.

Craig said it is so different being a missionary and walking along the street. He described that some people walked up to them and talked to them like they had known them forever and others acted like they were the devil incarnate. Interesting how we treat others especially when we don't know or understand. My prayer is that everyone my son will come in contact while on his mission will respect him and his faith. I know, however, that will not likely happen, and that breaks my heart. These missionaries are such awesome young men and women who just want to share something so good, so beautiful. Pray that those approached by Craig and missionaries around the world will open their hearts and their minds to God's word and His love, and that they will be kind to these young men and women. Craig's story also makes me examine myself and my reaction to others when approached by them. I will pray that I am more tolerant and open to their words. Perhaps they just have a job to do, maybe they are hungry and are asking for some spare change, or maybe it is a person that could change me and my life forever, just like the missionaries who first visited our home ultimately did for Craig. I promise to be more tolerant.

No comments: