Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Poem

It was a little difficult today as we did not receive an e-mail from Craig, the first time we have not received one since he arrived in Greece. I know in my heart that he is fine, but it just feels "weird" not to hear from him. I did receive this poem from one of the moms in my e-mail group. Comforts my heart for sure!

This Year for Christmas

I skipped the sales after Thanksgiving.
The thrill just wasn't there.
No pictures taken with Santa Clause,
my decorating has no flair.
His presents are shoes, shirts, and ties, two suits and socks...no fun.
I've bought him all white clothes because...
This year I'm giving Christ my son.

I've spent more time in the temple,
Felt strength come from His words.
I've reread November's Ensign,
and my testimony stirred.
Our family prays more frequently
My tears are quick to run.
Abraham seems closer because,
This year I'm giving Christ my son.

I wonder how those Lamanite mothers,
gave their sons to war?
Or how the pioneers chose Zion ,
their sacrifice was so much more.
My loss will be his presence,
I'll miss his smile a ton
For two years we will pray for him,
I'm giving Christ my son.

I stare at his face when he's not looking.
I memorize his eyes, their shine.
He's always hungered for the part of him, that makes his soul divine.
The stories and lessons he always heard, His choice and mine are one.
I'll put my faith in God's hand,
This year, I'm giving Him my son.

Past gifts have lost their glitter,
I think I finally understand
Christ's birth should be celebrated
by giving Him a hand.
It's because I know Christ lives and reigns that all his packing's done.
My gift has taken years to make,
This year... I'm giving Christ my son

1 comment:

Matt and Carla Morgan said...

This made me cry. I kind of feel like I've given Christ my son, too. Both an amazing blessing of obedience - and a terribly painful sense of brokenness.

It is so profound to know that the Lord loves us more than we are even capable of loving our sons.

Praying for you.

cm